You would agree that becoming a successful businessman is now easier than it used to be in the past. The drastic increase in Smartphone and computers has undoubtedly created numerous effect pathways to succeed as a trader.
With the introduction of effective online marketplaces and advertising platforms, you can easily complete all forms of transaction and equally improve your business popularity.
Talking of online advertisement templates, Craigslist remains a standout platform that allows both local and international ads.
Unfortunately, not so many people know how it works and how to fully maximize it for their business growth. Hence, we are set to educate you on how to use Craigslist to boost your business’ recognition and productivity.
We will equally discuss its do’s, don’ts, and other things you should know to avoid being banned from using it.
What Is Craigslist
Craigslist is an e-commerce website that allows users to upload different ads ranging from job vacancies to goods and services, electronic gadgets, Freelance gigs, résumés, and discussion forums.
Created by Craig Newmark in 1995, the American website is a force to reckon with in the e-commerce industry as it boasts millions of users from over 70 nations.
Apart from posting ads, you can buy and sell on Craigslist for free without any difficulty.
However, you need to learn how to use Craigslist safely by following the steps unveiled later in the article
How To Sell Items On Craigslist
- Visit the Craigslist website and set your location if it’s not done automatically.
- . Create an advert of what you intend to sell by clicking “create a posting” at the left-hand side of the page.
- . Select the sub-board that matches your location for easy discovery.
- . Verify the type of product you are selling by answering subsequent questions concerning your post/ad
- . Having answered correctly, select the suitable and accurate category for your product to proceed to the next phase.
- . The next page requires you to fill a form with all accurate info, including your accessible email address.
- . Click “continue” after filling the form.
- . Insert the product photo to increase your chances of attracting more buyers. To do this, click the “Add images” button, then arrange the images to suit your tastes.
- . Click on the “done with images” button followed by the “publish” link.
- . Craigslist will send a link to your email, asking you to confirm your post. Click the link and follow subsequent instructions to publish your ads for people’s views.
Now that you know how to sell on Craigslist, let’s dive into important facts about Craigslist ads such as flagging.
Is it a scam when a Craigslist ad is flagged for removal?
It’s not a scam when a Craigslist ad is flagged for removal. Many Craigslist users aren’t interested in your product because they feel it’s not authentic or genuine.
Therefore, they flagged it as a way of telling the admin to delete the post.
If your ad is flagged for removal, it means you should edit it as soon as possible. The website will automatically delete the flagged ads should you fail to heed to the initial warnings.
Some reasons why ads are flagged for removal include posting unsupported items, advertising illegal services, bridging posting rules and regulations, etc.
A competitor, with the same product, might choose to flag your post without a genuine reason, although this does not happen too often because Craigslist ensures equal playing ground for all to thrive.
Would the seller be notified when someone flags their ad on Craigslist?
Yes. Craigslist will send a mail directly to your registered email address, calling your attention to the latest development. However, Craigslist won’t disclose the reason behind user’s decisions to flag your ads for removal.
As much you can’t uncover or interact with the user who flags your post for removal, you are expected to revisit the post, make necessary changes before republishing it.
What does it mean when something is “flagged for removal” on Craigslist?
It means the ad or listing is set to be deleted because some users don’t feel it’s good enough to merit a place on the advertising website due to various reasons, including violation of terms and conditions.
Luckily, Craigslist allows you to amend the affected post within a stipulated period or you risk having it deleted automatically.
Meanwhile, you can also flag a post or ads for removal on Craigslist by clicking on the “prohibited” button at the top-left corner of your screen.
How many times does a post need to be flagged on Craigslist?
There is no specific answer to this question because the number of flags required to delete a post is proportional to many factors, including the post’s duration and viewers stat.
A post will be deleted if it records 10 flags out of 50 viewers within 24 hours. On the contrary, a post will remain active if 10 out of 500 viewers flag it for removal after existing for three weeks.
In a nutshell, a flagged post might remain active depending on the ratio of flags to the number of viewers. Your ads will be deleted if it is flagged by 10% of the overall viewers.
How many flags does it take to remove a Craigslist ad?
There is no specific number of flags required to delete a post. However, do everything possible to ensure that your post is flagged on little or no occasion.
The higher the flag received by an ad, the higher its chance of being deleted by Craigslist’s automated deleting system.
What happens if your Craigslist post is flagged?
The adverse effects of having flagged posts can’t be overlooked because it reduces your opportunity of attracting potential customers. A flagged post doesn’t attract comments or reactions from other users;
therefore, you can’t see any reply on the post. It might lead to the end of the post if you fail to make all the necessary amendments.
How to Avoid Flagging on Craigslist
Having discussed the possible outcome of a flagged post, let’s see how you can prevent being flagged by Craigslist users.
- Ensure your browser’s IP matches the location you intend to post the ads. Avoid using any VPN-influenced browser while posting your ads
- Discriminatory, offensive, and racist items aren’t permitted by the admin.
- Ensure your ads are posted in the right and accurate category.
- Avoid using one browser or device to post ads too often. Change the IP address but make sure it is within the targeted location.
- Using special characters on your ad title attracts flags, hence you should avoid them.
- Though it appears a bit difficult, endeavor to unmask users flagging your ads. Ask them the reason behind their action, and make corrections where necessary.
How To Repost A flagged Ad On Craigslist
- Click on the ‘My Account’ button to begin the process.
- Provide all your Craigslist account details. In case you don’t have an account, check for the email sent to you when you first published the ads that were eventually flagged.
- Having opened the mail sent to you, you would see a link. Click on it to be redirected to a page containing the ad’s present status.
- Go through Craigslist’s terms and conditions again and do the needful by ensuring the post doesn’t violate rules and regulations.
- Then, repost your ads.
How Do I Talk To Someone On Craigslist?
You might need to contact Craigslist customer support if you think your ads are flagged for no genuine reason.
To connect to an active Craigslist agent, you are to explore the following means of communication:
Craigslist Phone Customer Service
Dial 1-415-566-6394 to speak with anyone from the Craigslist Corporate Headquarters. The Hotline is available all day long.
Craigslist Fax Number
You can equally send a message to Craigslist agents via this fax number: 415-504-6394.
Craigslist Social Networks Customer Service
Craigslist Facebook page
Craigslist’s Facebook page (CraigslistCommunity) is readily available for customer’s benefit. So, endeavor to contact them via the well-known social media platform.
You will get a response from their representative within an hour. However, ensure you click on the verified account to avoid chatting with an unsecured account.
Craigslist Twitter and LinkedIn handle
You can equally contact Craigslist via their verified Twitter handle. Alternatively, LinkedIn offers another effective route to get in touch with them. Just click their handle to initiate a conversation.
Craigslist Mailing Addresses
Lastly, you should send a message to any of their email addresses, including [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]
The best way to avoid being flagged is to strictly obey the platform’s rules and regulations which will discuss extensively in our subsequent post. Until then, feel free to ask questions if there is anything you desire to know about Craigslist and its mode of operation.